The most commonly asked questions from people planning a move and awaiting arrival of the moving crew are answered below.
How soon should I book my mover?
– The earlier the better. Our crews get booked up, especially at month ends and beginnings. The sooner you book the more guaranteed you are to get the time slot you desire for your move.
Can I get a guaranteed firm price for my move?
– Yes. Our relocation consultant will come visit your home, do an assessment of your requirements and give you a guaranteed firm price for your move. As we all know, sometimes things change between your booking time and the actual moving date. Sometimes you may require some more work to be done or you may decide to downsize your contents of your home. If this happens we can make arrangements to adjust your quote for you
How is the cost calculated?
– The cost of sea freight and road freight shipments are based on the total volume of your goods. This is calculated by multiplying the length, breadth and height of the items, to give a total volume in cubic meters. Air freight shipments are calculated on either the actual gross weight or the volume weight of the goods, whichever is greatest. Your Relocation Consultant will be able to accurately measure your goods at the time of the survey and provide a relocation quotation based on this measurement.
What does the quote include?
-No two relocations are the same, so RACS’s quotation will be specifically tailored to your individual requirements. But some things are always included:
Supply of all new packing materials
Packing of your household goods and personal effects by trained, experienced packers
Preparation of an itemized inventory
Collection from your home
Crating/containerization and delivery to the terminal
Preparation of all export documentation and all import documentation for the completion of Customs Clearances
Payment of terminal charges
Unpacking and clearance of all waste materials.
The quotation will exclude any import duties or taxes due in various countries, quarantine examinations if ordered or storage if required. Your Relocation Consultant will be happy to explain this to you during the survey.
How far ahead should I book?
-Ideally, you should confirm dates as soon as possible, as dates are often booked up well in advance. RACS Moving will always aim to match the dates you require, but please keep in mind that some days (particularly Fridays) are busier and more expensive than others, so it will help if you can be flexible.
Does RACS offer a worldwide relocation service?
-During a relocation, the main office at origin and the RACS office at your destination continuously share important information in order to ensure the relocation is a success. All commitments made prior to departure will be carried out by dedicated RACS staff at the other end of the move.
Does RACS offer Goods in Transit insurance?
-While RACS’s professional crews will always securely pack your belongings, it is important to remember that your goods will be traveling by ship, plane, truck or other mode of transport—each of which carries inherent risks. For your peace of mind, we offer transit insurance that provides full replacement cost coverage on a door-to-door, on an all-risks basis. As well as offering lump sum or full detailed inventory options, additional protection is available to cover pairs and sets, electrical and mechanical derangement and damage through mold and mildew.
How are my floors / carpets protected from damage and dirt?
– Our trucks carry floor runners that are laid out on your floors and carpets to protect your home from damage.
How is my furniture protected during the move?
– Our crews will wrap your furniture with cloth moving blankets during your move. Each truck has over 100 blankets on board. In case of full export packing, your furniture will be wrapped in special packing material.
What are the accepted forms of payment?
– We accept Visa, Mastercard, Cash and Bank transfer. If you need us to bill your employer, please arrange this at your time of booking.
Are any items prohibited from my shipment?
– Each country has its own restrictions; but as a general rule, the following items should not be included in your shipment:
Firearms and ammunition
Foodstuffs, including herbs and spices
Hazardous items (including adhesives, ammonia, bleaches, chlorine, detergents, disinfectants, dyes, flammables, gas cylinders, insecticides, mercury thermometers, methylated spirits, paints, pesticides, photographic chemicals, pressure packs, thinners)
Items made from endangered animals
Unprocessed furs, skins
Plants, dried flowers, bulbs, seeds
Soil or sand of any kind
Swords, spears, switchblades.
Please note that the above list is not exhaustive and RACS Moving will be able to advise you of further prohibited items for individual countries. It is recommended that you keep important papers with you during your move. These would include Passports, identification, wills, bank papers, legal documents, your children’s identification, jewelry etc.
Do I need to do anything to prepare for the packing day?
– RACS’s expert team of packers will take care of everything on the day. Prior to their arrival:
Dispose of any items you do not wish to take with you
Disconnect and defrost refrigerators and freezers
Drain washing machine
Remove fixtures and fittings from walls
Thoroughly clean all outdoor equipment.
Remember to keep separate any items you will need to take with you when traveling, including passports, money, travel documents, important paperwork, jewelry, valuables and suitcases.
Will RACS pack and unpack all of my possessions for me?
– RACS’s packing teams will expertly pack and wrap your goods ready for shipment. All packers are fully trained and will make sure your possessions are well-protected and perfectly safe throughout the entire process of your relocation. At destination we will unpack your goods and dispose of any debris on delivery day at your new residence. The crew can use a color-labeling system at origin and destination to match packages with rooms. Color-coded cards, hung on doors at the destination residence, are matched to like-colored stickers on cartons, simplifying the delivery and unpacking process.
Can I pack any of my possessions myself?
– Yes. We are very flexible on packing. You can do some or all of the packing. You may choose to have our pack crew do it all for you. Either way we will make sure you are well taken care of. Have in mind that for security reasons, many countries no longer accept shipments that are packed by the owner. In addition, any damage incurred to items you packed yourself may not be covered by transit insurance. We strongly advise that you let RACS pack all of your household items and personal effects. All RACS crews are professionally trained and have experience in packing people’s precious belongings.
Will the packing crew use the original materials for my appliances or large items?
– If you have any of the original cartons and packing materials for your appliances or other household items, make sure that you inform your Crew Supervisor. He or she will inspect the materials to determine whether your items will be safer using these or our own specialized materials.
What happens when my possessions arrive at their destination?
– Before you depart, your Move Manager will give you the contact details for your coordinator where you’re moving to, along with your shipment details and the estimated date of arrival. When you arrive in your new city, you will be contacted by the local RACS office who will coordinate the inbound clearance, confirm the status of the goods, organize a date for delivery and discuss any storage requirements.
For general enquiries, please fill in the form on our Contact page.
Contact support link